Get Out: First Friday, Owl Prowl and More
What's going on in and around Roxborough and Manayunk this weekend.
Are you looking for something to do this weekend? Check out these great local events.
- When: Saturday, Jan. 5 from 7:30 - 11 a.m.
- Where:The Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education, 8480 Hagys Mill Rd, Philadelphia
- Why Go: Interested in birding but overwhelmed by the prospect of getting started? We pair experienced birders with beginners, making the Winter Bird Census a great opportunity to learn to recognize local birds and to help the Schuylkill Center collect valuable information on the birds that live here in winter. Hot beverages and light snacks provided. Pre-registration required. Call (215) 482-7300, ext. 110.
- Cost: Free
- When: Saturday, Jan. 5 from 4 - 6 p.m.
- Where: The Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education 8480 Hagys Mill Rd, Philadelphia
- Why Go: Come out for an after dark walk in the woods and seek the elusive and magnificent owls that live at the SCEE. Before heading out on the walk, you will learn about their distinctive calls, meet the wildlife clinic’s rehabilitated screech and great horned owls and learn about some of the physical and behavioral characteristics that make them exceptional hunters of the night forest.
- Cost: Free for Members, $5 Non-Members
- When: Friday, Jan. 4
- Where: Main Street, Manayunk
- Why Go:Manayunk businesses will be celebrating the first 'First Friday' of 2013 with special events, deals, and discounts! For up to the minute information on specials and more, please visit their Facebook page.
- Cost: Free
- When: Sunday, Jan. 6 at 2 p.m.
- Where: The Cedars House,Forbidden Drive at Northwestern Ave., Philadelphia
- Why Go: The Friends of the Wissahickon present this 45 minute slide presentation about the historical roads and road houses that once existed in the park. Presented by Trail Ambassador Sarah West. Open to the public. Registration is not required but recommended as seating is limited.
- Cost: Free
- When: Jan. 4 and Jan. 5
- Where: Mishkan Shalom Synagogue, 4101 Freeland Ave, Phila
- Why Go: Celebrate the vision, lives and teachings of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel. For more information and a detailed agenda, please visit their website.
- Cost: Free - Registration Required
- When: Sunday, Jan. 6 from Noon - 4 p.m.
- Where: Manayunk Roxborough Art Center, 419 Green Lane, Philadelphia
- Why Go: Members of the Manayunk-Roxborough Artists’ Co-Op will exhibit examples of their work accompanied by poems that describe or relate to them, written expressly for this show. A reading of their work by the poets will begin at 2 p.m.