Are you looking for something to do this weekend? Check out these great local events.
- When: Sunday, Dec. 9 from 2 - 8 p.m.
- Why Go: Bring the kids and celebrate the season at this fun family festival. Enjoy shopping from eco-artist vendors and crafters, DIY craft workshops - including wreath making, nature walks, storytime and more. The kids will love it when WXPN's Kids Corner joins in on the fun from 2 - 6 p.m. with host Kathy O'Connell bringing the entire Science Thursday line-up including chemist Lisa Chirlian, naturalist Jane Kirkland and SCEE's own Mike Weilbacher. Stick around for a stargazing workshop from 6 - 8 p.m. in the meadow and visit the campfire to make s'mores!
- Cost: Suggested Donation $5
- When: Saturday, Dec. 8 from 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Where: Roxborough Development Corporation, 6111 Ridge Avenue
- Why Go: The party welcomes children of all ages and their families to celebrate the holiday season with Santa Clause and Mr. Magic. Children will have the opportunity to learn about different holiday traditions, get their picture with Santa Clause and watch a magic show with the Mystical Mr. Magic. TD Bank will also have a holiday table with free prizes and ornaments for the children. Refreshments and snacks will be provided.
- Cost: Free
- When: Friday, Dec. 7 from 5 - 9 p.m.
- Where: Downtown Manayunk
- Why Go: Enjoy a special evening in Manayunk. Some of the specials this month include: a local craft/gift show at Sweet Elizabeth's Cakes featuring canvas art, handmade greeting cards, wreaths, pottery, aprons, t-shirts and they will be serving festive cocktails; Drop into Manayunk Greenworks for live music, free wine and pizza; The Little Apple will host artist Todd Marrone's work in the store and have a seasonal beer tasting and snacks. For more up to the minute information on special happenings, visit their Facebook page.
- When: Sunday, Dec. 10 from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Where: 4456 Main St, Manayunk
- Why Go: Get a hair cut for a great cause. Nine year old Xavier is waiting for his second heart transplant. $25 hair cuts for men, women, and children. $5 for a blow-dry performed by a cosmetology school student. Cash is requested for all services, all proceeds go to Xavier. Appointments book every half hour.
- Cost: $25 - Cash Only
- When: Saturday, December 8 and Sunday, December 9
- Where: Downtown Chestnut Hill
- Why Go: Enjoy a Victorian Christmas celebration with victorian carolers, storytelling and characters from right off the pages of A Christmas Carol. Enjoy holiday shopping, visiting with Santa, dining and drinks, and merriment along Germantown Ave.
- Cost: Free