It couldn't have been a more beautiful evening to spend outside! On Thursday, July 14th, hundreds of people of all ages gathered around the Gorgas Park gazebo to hear Ben Arnold and his band. As the sun began to set, and the orange glow wandered across the hillside, people set up chairs and blankets to enjoy the weather, friends, and a fabulous local lineup of singer songwriters. This free event was financed by the "Friends of Gorgas Park" and East River Bank.
Jim Boggia opened, doing a solo performance, as people settled in, and some sang along. As the sun disappeared on the horizon, the Ben Arnold band began. Soon, a small crowd of kids, parents and even grandparents were dancing in front of the Gazebo. It could not have been a more beautiful night.
This is the fourth year that Ben and his crew have played at Gorgas Park. And, although he has become the annual favorite, there are a dozen or so free concerts and movies there this summer. Still to come are:
- Kick It Out - Heart Cover Band at 7 p.m. Thursday July 28
- Movie: Homeward Bound - a movie for all ages at 8 p.m. Tuesday August 2nd
- The Adam Monaco Band with special guest The Tenants at 7 p.m. Thursday August 11th
- Movie: Toy Story at 8 p.m. Tuesday August 16th
- Zydeco-a-Go-Go - a New Orleans type jam dance band. This is another annual favorite, not to be missed at 7 p.m. Thursday August 25th
- Movie, Field of Dreams at 8 p.m. on Tuesday August 30th
- A funky, soul-groove band called First Class at 1 p.m. on Saturday September 4th
- The wrap up concert will be a 9-11 tribute on Saturday September 11th at 7 p.m. with a local rock-n-roll band called Katya with Peace Dog.
The free events are a great way to hang out with friends and run into neighbors. Bring a drink or a picnic, bring a blanket, or a chair, but whatever you do, bring yourself and have a good time, right here in the 'hood.