Fire prevention week came seven days early to Green Lane School in Roxborough.
Preschoolers got a first-hand look at Philadelphia firefighters in action Monday morning, as administrators evacuated the school for precautionary reasons.
Green Lane Director Lauren Trimbur said staff smelled a strong gas odor before 10 a.m. Monday, prompting a call to the Philadelphia Fire Department and evacuation of the student body.
The bright fall morning proved a comfortable setting for students to watch as firefighters cleared the school of any gas leaks. Students took in two fire engines and even a precautionary helicopter monitored the situation.
Firemen from Engine 12 received a loud "Thank you!" and "Goodbye!" from students appreciative of their work.
"Everything was fine, and it was one way for us to mark Fire Prevention Week. Kids got to see what firefighters do close up," Trimbur said.
The gas smell originated from utility work on nearby streets and was not harmful to the school or residents, she said.
By 10:30 a.m., normalcy returned to the school at Green Lane and Ridge Avenue.
For more information on the nursery school, read our Patch profile.