Every Friday, welcomes McCann’s Farm to Roxborough with its weekly farmers' market. Such is the case August 10, as the produce will be trotted out to
The farm provided one suggestion on what to do with some peaches you may buy. Enjoy!
Peach Basil Ice Cream
2 cups finely chopped ripe peaches (about 5), peeled if you prefer.
1 cup fresh basil, thinly cut into strips
1 1/4 cups sugar
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 large eggs
2 cups heavy or whipping cream
1 cup milk
1. Combine the peaches, basil, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and the lemon juice in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, stirring the mixture every 30 minutes.
2. Remove the basil-peach mixture from the refrigerator and drain the juice into another bowl. Return the peaches and basil to the refrigerator.
3. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend. Add the peach-basil juice and blend
4. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer’s instructions.
5. After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it is done), add the peaches, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.
The recipe makes a little over 1 quart. Credit for Recipe.